Sunday, December 21, 2008

Hrm...

First off - I just spent the last two or three hours looking at the myspace pages of people I went to high school with. God Damn!@@#%%^ I don't know why. I have been thinking a lot lately and I'm just going to share.

I think that there are three truly famous people in this world. George Bush, Barack Obama, and Will Smith. Everyone else is only locally famous. I think that these three people can go almost anywhere and be recognized. Therefore, all the people that we think are famous - Brad Mehldau, Tom Waits, Charlie Kaufman, Bela Fleck, John Coltrane, Bjork, etc, etc, - are just popular. It may be easy to think that everyone knows about our heroes or the websites we check regularly or the albums we buy, but most of the time, no one gives a shit. As a performer, that's a little depressing, because there's at least a smidgen of "ooh, I hope I get famous", but we play fringe music anyway, so we'll never be as famous as the in-crowd. Of course, we all already know this, so don't think I'm trying to enlighten anyone. God forbid. I know that the best-case scenario is that Adam, Jamison, and Courtenay will read this and you guys all know at least as much as me about any given subject, but I'm a little tipsy and I need to spew some stuff.

Buckminster Fuller has written that in 1900 in the United States, 90% of the population lived on farms. When he wrote "Critical Path" in 1980 this number had shrunk to 10%. I'm sure now it's even less. To me, this means that in 1900, at least 90% of the population felt that the work they were doing was vital to sustaining the existance of themselves, their family, and the rest of the country. They were doing important work that meant something. The rest of the population could have also been doing vital work - doctors, preachers, firemen, etc. Everyone may not have had their dream job, but they were contributing and must have felt a sense of responsibility. Nowadays, almost everyone coming into the work force has spent some time in either retail or the service industry. This shit is not important. Even the best restaurants can go under and life will go on virtually unchanged. If most of them went under, our country would probably be better off. Retail is the same. The most important function these industries serve is to give day jobs to people who have bills to pay. Basically, you don't have the right to just live and be merry. You have to earn that right. You can't exist as a person that does what he needs to do for himself and goes on with his life. You MUST do what others tell you until you reach the age of 65 and then if you're lucky, you can retire to the life you've been waiting for since you left home. In the interim, most of us will have to make do with spending hours and hours a day at a job that probably doesn't make the world a better place and that doesn't give us the feeling of being responsible for anything significant. Although, as I'm writing this, I realize that Adam is doing woodwork for a boss he is friends with, Jamison is touring around bringing joy and music to people, and Courtenay is teaching the next generation of Town Meeting. Damn, I guess it's just me and the rest of the country that's stuck in this rat trap...

Sometimes I hate the internet. I'm sure you can all relate to this in some way. We didn't grow up on this shit, so it's probably stubborn Luddite-ness that makes us feel this way. I'm sure we all remember doing reports in libraries and looking through encyclopedias and card catalogs. We can easily recall when our families got some bullshit dial-up connection and had to pay an hourly fee for internet use (my brother once ran up a $250+ bill playing online games). Or maybe your parents were even more resistant than we can be and refused to let it into their households until you could get a monthly unlimited plan. Now I have to spend regular time on motherfucking myspace just to appear interested in keeping up with some people. I don't want to be one of these nostalgic kids that talks about remembering stuff from three years ago and buys the "retro" t-shirts from hot topic (you see, I'm a snob, after all). Of course, I remember Saved By the Bell, damn it! It wasn't that long ago! Our parents talk about getting their first color tv and we talk with the same wistfulness of getting our first cell phones (which may mean something for someone who has been through as many as Jamison, but for most people, it was still in this century). I recently went to the Field Museum and saw a great exhibit on the Aztecs. I just got more and more enthralled in this fantasy of the simple life - although mine didn't involve ritual human sacrifice. There's just too much to adjust to and not enough time to do it. I don't want to get swept up, but I don't want to just be a stubborn back-to-nature pipe-dreamer either. I guess I want things to get better, not just different. Not just more technologically advanced and faster and smaller and whatever. All the technology was supposed to make life easier. All the farmers are off the farms. The machinery can handle it, but instead of an easier life, it seems like it's harder. The work day on a farm is not an arbitrary 8 hours. You do the work that is necessary when it's necessary and then you're done. More work during the sowing and harvesting times and less while it's growing. Not just 40 hours a weeks so that you can afford heat and electricity.

I don't know... maybe I'm rambling...

1 comment:

Jamison said...

Man, thanks for sharing. I could comment on so much of what you said, but it would be superfluous, and although that is in my true nature, I will refrain. or not. I think every change that happens is somehow balanced- its great we can see Karen Carpenter's 1976 drumming, but that luxury comes at a price. Ultimately, however, our culture is traveling a path towards quantity over quality in every sense of the phrase. I wonder if eventually people will start appreciating genuine human expression and sincere contribution to society.... I guess we'll just keep on keeping on and hope everyone will eventually come around. I think deep down, people want it, there is just a sugary sweet coating of bullshit around it thats tough as a rock! heres to breaking through to the gooey, savory center!