Thursday, July 8, 2010

henry threadgill speakin truth


People are blazing their own trail. That is what seems to be important. I don't care to follow and to do what the mass is doing. That is not doing anything, to be doing what everyone else is doing. Everybody is unique. The funny thing about people now is that people don't really understand or really appreciate how unique each individual on earth is. You see, Fred, I understand that uniqueness and I worship that uniqueness. People short-change themselves thinking that I am not as good as so and so. Yes, you are. You just have to discover what you're about and what it is that you do and what you are good at, what you love to do. If it is sweeping the street, making an omelet, writing poems, whatever it is, rather than try to be like everybody else and do what other people are doing. That is not important. Do we really pay attention to people that try to be like Michael Jackson? Or try to be like Beethoven? Do we really?

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

I like this. I like this a lot. Sometimes I get caught up on generalizations like "people do this" or "people think so and so", but much of what he says is true, if only for me. I am "people" and it takes some real diligence to not do what "people" often do. Thanks for this reminder, Jamo.

craigis said...

Hey man also check out the interview at the end of the concert I just posted on your facebook wall, the man has a lot to say that is worth hearing (both musically and philosophically).

craigis said...

Oh and the Mary Halvorson and Darius Jones videos are worth checking out as well, both of them have been stretching my ears quite a bit recently. (the Joey Baron is almost certainly great as well just havent watched it yet, Richmond VA represent!)

Jeremy said...

Jesus Mary and Joseph! That Joey Baron video is a dream to behold! The perfect reminder of why he's my favorite! Thank you so muck for the tip, Craig.