Monday, May 12, 2008

Cranium of Sound


There's a cool book that I'm reading right now that everyone should check out if you haven't already. It's called This Is Your Brain On Music. Very cool stuff. So far the most fascinating tidbit is that the neurons in your auditory cortex fire at the same rate per second as the vibrations of the tones that you hear. In other words if I play you an A 440, your neurons fire at 440 times a second. If I play you a note that vibrates 150 times a second they fire 150 times a second. Pretty wild stuff. Dig it. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy carp! So what if it's like 2000 vibrations a second? What about sounds that are outside of our ear's capacity to hear? Is the brain reaction due to the hearing of the sound or is it sympathetic to the vibration regardess?

Ekim Bboc said...

That's funny, I bought that book a few months ago but got sidetracked by about 5 other books. I'll have to check it out again.

MC