Friday, September 5, 2008

A refreshing and reinvigorating night of music!

Last night I checked out some amazing jazz/groove/latin/soul music at Windows on the Cumberland, a great little hole in the wall venue in Nashville. I knew a few of the guys there, but for the most part it was a whole scene of folks I wasn't really aware of. It was organized by Derrek Phillips, one of Charlie Hunter's old drummers, who lives in Nashville now.

A couple of things happened from this: I saw a community of musicians that I wanted to be a part of. I just need to be patient and play as much as I can and see what happens.

I met some really amazing musicians who are getting the jazz/soul thang started, and interestingly enough, at a space thats walking distance from my house!

I met TWO trumpet players who are awesome and live in Nashville. How crazy - like I told one of them last night - its about cammeraderie (sp?) and not competition.

So, just when I was feeling down about Nashville - something happened to boost my spirits! And I have a handful of shows in the future that I'm excited to check out. And of course, I have big plans of my own - so watch out nashville!

No comments: